Friday, December 16, 2016

3 Nephi 22


Verses 1-17: Beautiful Promises
 

What does this teach me about the atonement?
The atonement is at the heart of everything the Savior says here.  The whole reason He undertook it was to make all the things happen He's describing here. 
I understand the first verse to mean that a people, the house of Israel, who has suffered enough to be considered "desolate" will, in the end, through the atonement's power, have a greater multiplicity of blessings than anyone would expect- more than other strains  of people who may seem to have a favored life (represented here by the "married wife").
The second verse provides active imagery of the idea of preparing for happy growth and proliferation.
And the loving reassurances continue from there.  Promises of safety, protection, and peace from a loving Savior. The verses about jewels could indicate prosperity or beautiful surroundings, but most of all, the symbols of His undying love, or all these.  We won't all have great material wealth in this life, but I believe that those who love and trust the Savior will have their lives adorned with feelings of love and great joy, just as the Savior describes the adornment of their edifices with jewels. I KNOW I HAVE. And I know that's what I feel when I read those verses.
One crowning promise:
10 For the mountains shall depart and the hills be removed, but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee.

This mercy comes by the power of the atonement.

Lesson for me?
*Remember that, as a covenant daughter, you are privy to all of these promised blessings.  Remember how He rightfully compares His love to the most prized and precious treasures on earth, and that it's experienced as such. Live with this in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment