Friday, December 16, 2016

3 Nephi 24


Verses 1-9: The Refiner

What does this teach me about the atonement?
 

Once again we see the Savior defer to the words of a prophet, Malachi, whom He has inspired- demonstrating the way He can change and sanctify those who are open to Him, and help them become like Him- to the extent that their words are the ones He chooses to preach directly to His people.
Never before have I sensed such love in His sternness.  M. Scott Peck, an inspired thinker but not LDS, defines love as a willingness to work for the spiritual growth of another. This is the Savior here. And why not?  If some discomfort is requisite but the result is a people who stop hurting and cheating on each other and start examining themselves, that's what needs to happen! His words speak for themselves here:
2 But who may abide the day of his coming, and who shall stand when he appeareth? For he is like a refiner’s fire, and like fuller’s soap.
 5 And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger, and fear not me, saith the Lord of Hosts.

He loves the people enough to try to influence them to stop the hurt. May I be guilty of such "judgment" as well if it will truly be of service. 
I haven't mentioned the atonement by name yet, but this is all part of it!  The atonement encompasses all of the work, sacrifice and pleading He does to change us and save us, and that's what we see here.  The atonement, His own voluntary suffering, is what gives the weight, power and authority to His stirring words.  In His mention of tithing, He invites the people to give of themselves in a way that will help them repent of their prior mistreatment of one another.


Lesson for me?
*I'm getting the impression that I need to have greater courage to correct my children.  But just as the Savior's suffering gave authority to His rebuke, I need to pay a greater price in sacrifice myself as I proceed. This is not to say I need to be the martyr and take on more work, but that I need to sacrifice the pride or whatever it is inside me that causes me to flare up in anger at certain speech and behavior from them. I need to pay the price of seeing my anger and choosing not to let it direct my response- the price of offering correction in love rather than a misguided urge to overpower them in an absurd contest of will- the price of humility, patience and longsuffering.  Then my requests for kindness and service to one another will be purer, more effective and not beget the same resentment.  And as David was saying yesterday, I can begin today. I don't need to predicate my courage on the perfect application of my sacrifice, but move ahead with all of it in mind, with the hope and faith that all will eventually work to the good. 

Verses 10-12: Promises 
What does this teach me about the atonement?
(My phone is so accustomed to writing that question that I can now execute the whole thing in six taps 🤗.)
I can almost detect a tone of slight exasperation in verse ten when I read it with this in mind. The debt we owe the Lord is absolutely inconceivable and we're all so clueless. He knows this and still promises blessings beyond our wildest imaginings, blessings of prosperity which the world won't be able to help but notice as we sacrifice a very small portion of what He's provided us.  We will always be in His debt, but all He wants is our happiness.

Lesson for me?
*Just remember the foregoing when you start to get cranky and feel sorry for yourself.  Nothing doing.  You have no difficulty that will not eventually be transformed to joy as you keep buggering on.  All will be well.  BELIEVE IT.

Verses 13-15: Self-Deception
What does this teach me about the atonement?
This is the saddest part.  The Savior stands there, bearing the wounds of His crucifixion, having atoned for us, and He has to point out how we're all whining and complaining and saying, "What's in it for me?", and imagining that crooked people have it better than us. This kind of direct rebuke is necessary to help them stop such "stinking thinking".

Lesson for me?
*Really a restatement of the previous one: stop whining and get on with serving, loving and living.

Verses 16-18: Book of Remembrance 
What does this teach me about the atonement?
I'm not sure exactly what the book refers to, but I think the point is that Christ would not perform the atonement in vain- meaning that those who love Him, who think and speak of Him, will be set down on record and will not be forgotten. The atonement will redeem them that truly receive it.

Lesson for me?
*Continue to reverence the Lord and think upon His name, so that you might be one of His 💎 jewels .

No comments:

Post a Comment